On leaving

ON LEAVING

I left the US and moved to Mexico almost 20 years ago. It was a decision based on a combination of wanderlust, retiredness, and what-the-hellism. When people ask me why I moved, I usually just change the subject or ask if they need a refill on their drink. 

Donald Trump wasn't on my radar in 2008. He is now. Bigotry, hate, white nationalism, general tight-assism, etc. all existed then, but I didn't consider those as factors for relocating.

So, one of the questions I ask myself today is, would I leave now given the dystopian nature of US culture and politics? I read about people leaving for a variety of reasons, including the ones mentioned above. 

Also, people are concerned about their kids growing up in a society that blames and cancels almost all marginalized groups. A society that values popularity and influence over honesty and taking responsibility. A society that trades rights and freedom for security and comfort. 

The truth is the US is being run by people who would very much prefer that you leave, if you are an immigrant, if you are an academic, if you value science and research, if you value accountability, if you dissent and disagree with the current cabal (for whatever reason), if you exercise your Constitutional rights to express yourself, if you refuse to bend the knee, etc.

It's unfortunately true that the "Love it or leave it" crowd still runs their pie holes in the most un-American way. They have no justification for their bigotry and homogeneous nature. So the government wants you to leave, the MAGA hopeless want you to leave, and you may very well be considering it. 

But remember, it's your country too. It's your homeland even if the Department of Homeland Security isn't. You've made a contribution, you've sacrificed, you've built, you've raised a family, you have roots, and you believe the tenets of democracy are worth fighting for.

Whatever your reasons for wanting to leave or deciding to stay, it's a decision that you make every day. And some days are harder than others. 





Comments